Friday, January 15, 2010

A Typical Day at School

Classes has once again started, and my sanity is starting to slip already. Some would ask, how exactly is this possible when you only have a maximum of two classes a day? Well these classes are not exactly pleasant. Here is a rundown of my two classes today.

First up, we have our ad design web segment. We are currently learning how to create webpages, which leads to our final assignment of a website creation of our choice. Believe it or not, when I found this class on my timetable, I was excited. What was not to love? Computers and what I thought would be learning new html codes. I was pleasantly excited until the following happened:

  1. Turns out we will not be doing anything to do with coding, besides the times when we see it during the split mode in Dreamweaver. 
  2. We will not be doing anything to do with Flash.
  3.  Tutorials on how to do anything takes way too long for it to be comfortable


This was very disappointing indeed. [ Insert sad face here] But it was awesome to learn all those terms, since those are the parts I usually tuned out of before. Interesting how much you think you know until you run into everything you don't.

A little background information on why this is the case. I'm not being sexist (and can you be when you're discussing about your own sex?) But our program consists of mostly females. Being a person who grew up with mostly male friends, this is extremely hard. From going to discussions regarding StarCraft strategies, to which shade of blond better compliments your skin tone, often I would feel like I was on a different planet all together. However, it was only lately that I came to the conclusion that an overdose of estrogen and computers do not mix!!! Overall, it was a painful experience.

That mop looking thing is me dying on the floor.

For this semester's liberal elective, I thought it would be interesting to take a philosophy course. Little did I know, it was way more than I expected. This course is on one of my favorite subjects of all times: Sex and Love. We were introduced to the course, with the promise of Plato's Symposium. I was once again excited. I should have seen this as a red flashing sign of trouble. After two courses of introductions I was happily carrying my copy of Symposium to class, imagining our good times together in class. This is what actually happened:



We started off with a poem about a malt that was eaten by a rat, that was scared by a cat, who in turn worried by a dog because he was thrown by a cow? who apparently had a crumpled horn. It was milked by a forlorn maid, who married a lad by a priest who was bald?!!
This prof had not once ceased to surprise me. especially when he asked the question. So why was the maiden forlorn?  After many attempts from students, we learn that the maiden was indeed sad because she had to marry a broke guy because they had sex and was pregnant out of wed?! Wow.. totally not what I expected to hear.

This poem was an example of how, with everything relating to one another, it was easier to remember. I had to admit, this actually made sense, since I'm known for my lack of memory. I was revved up and ready to go. Symposium here I come!

Then... I knew it was trouble when he asked us: "Did I tell you guys the story about the Three Little Pigs?" I have to say, never in my life have I seen such a lively performance of the Three Little Pigs. With many "chinny chin chins" later, and the pigs being called %$&$%^%$ stubborn, class was over (poor wolf?). This was when I realized not once have we even mentioned Plato.

The lesson of the day here then is: never have high expectations.

1 comment:

  1. ahahaha nice drawings beebeeee i love them hahaah..and that one really does look like your prof LOL AHAHAHA

    ReplyDelete